Friday, June 5, 2009

Walk #155: Critters on a Rainy Day...

Two walks today.

On a rare, rainy June day. This keeps me (thankfully?) from working on the house. My first walk was short. Angel the dog was quite displeased with this situation. So, this afternoon after returning from the library in Paradise, Angel became an imp. She chewed one of Jazmine's shoes (she hasn't done that for months). She bounced on me as I tried to watch Chris Mathews. She found some yarn and ran about the house with it.

She got her point across.

So we took a second walk in the rain. A refreshing rain. Temperature about 61 degrees Fahrenheit.



We came across these tracks. I've been trying to figure out what they are. What is stumping me is that there are only four toes evident. My shoe gives an indication of how small they are. My hunch is that they belong to a possum, due to a possible scrunched fifth toe on the insides of the pads.


And somebody has been munching on this immature pine cone. A squirrel?


Munch. Munch.


And here is another critter. Homo Sapian Trespasserus.



3 comments:

Ian Woofenden said...

Hey Allan,

I asked my son the tracking instructor to look at your photos -- we'll see.

Today I was undisciplined about riding before computing, but I got a lot of work done. Then I started a ride this evening, intending to just do the block. But I remembered that I'd seen one of the many bike tourists on the island the other day and wondered what the mileage is for the figure eight that is my recommended tour. So I went for it.

I was riding a bit competitively, trying to keep my average above 12. Almost hit 13 in the end.

12.40 miles
57:18
12.99 mph average
44.40 mph max (Veal's Hill!)

I think I'll ride this 8 some more.

In other biking/walking news...

Today I called to rent a bike in Wisconsin, where I'll be week after next for conferences.

Today I ordered a pedometer, so I can apply my fascination with counting to walks as well as rides...

;-)

Tonight I walked up the 120-foot rope ladder to the treetop site where I want to build a getaway. Photos are on my blog.

Ian

Allan Stellar said...

Hey Ian,

I like your version of treesitting! :)

Any word on the tracks?
allan

Ian Woofenden said...

12.51 miles
1:01:43
12.16 mph average
41,95 mph max

I did the figure 8 again today. A tad longer because my hat flew off on Morrison's hill. ;-) A tad slower because I wasn't pushing it so hard, and because I slowed down to chat with folks at the Dog Island Run, and a truck was blocking the road on North Beach.

I like this 8! The biggest and steepest hills are in the first three miles, and the remaining hills are more gradual.