Thursday, June 25, 2009

Walk #175: What's In The Trees? Another Cougar Story...


Can you find the turkey vulture in this photo?

My pup and I walked around Eight this morning. Thought I'd get it done early, as today is a travel day for me. Gotta keep earning that paycheck, so I'll be leaving this afternoon for the Napa Valley.

Angel and I stirred up a turkey vulture. He went and sat in an old Oak tree, where I took his photo.

Trees.

While walking I often forget to look up. Unless I hear something stirring, I often don't see what's hanging out in the branches of trees.

An RN I work with told me this story last weekend. I had been talking about seeing a mountain lion and what a thrill that was.

This RN grew up on a ranch. When she was small, she didn't know what a mountain lion was. But she kept seeing "big kitties" in trees, while wandering around the property. The ranch did have a mountain lion that regularly ate livestock. Anyway, this RN, as a child would climb the trees to go pet the "big kitties".

Evidently, this "big kitty" became so enraptured with her, that he would visit her window at night. Peeking his head above the eave and watching her human. When the little girl told her parents about the big kitty, they didn't believe her.

"I know this all happened", the sixty-something RN told me, "I was much too old to not remember it. I was around eight or nine, at the time". This encounter with the mountain lion has led to a life long affection for the large predator.

"I love them", she told me.

Lest you think this story is bizarre, consider this: The town of Los Gatos, California (home of Steve Wozniak and Joe Kapp) got it's name, according to legend, when a mountain lion was seen playing with some settler children--gently, like a domesticated cat. Los Gatos: the cats.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thanks for the great story about mountain lions. I remember seeing one in a zoo, rubbing its head on the bars when I cooed to it, then rolling on its back and purring, just like our own dear tabby. But still and all, be a little careful when walking alone, Allan. Mom lion probably has cubs now and may risk attacking, especially the dog. Unlikely, but still . . . .

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks for your words of caution. :)