Sunday, June 21, 2009

Walk #171: Extra Shifts...

One nice thing about being an RN is the ability to pick up some extra shifts now and then. Our financial coffers are getting a little like Mother Hubbard's cupboard: empty. So I called work and told them I was available.

Last night, around 8 pm I got the call. I could work today. Seeing as I travel a whole lot, I keep my suitcase packed for such calls. I left shortly after the phone rang and drove to the Napa Valley, arriving around midnight; checked into my St. John of the Cross Room and tried to sleep.

To no avail.

Finally, after a couple hours of sleep, the alarm rang and I showed up not very bushy tailed to work. A glutton for punishment, I worked extra: a twelve hour shift.

So, my walk tonight was short. Twenty minutes around the grounds of the hospital.

As in answer to prayers, I was offered a 12 hour shift tomorrow too. I thankfully picked it up.

This is what Father's do when families are short on money. Happy Father's Day!

No comments: