Thursday, June 4, 2009

Walk #154: LYF's

LYF's= Little Yellow Flowers...



Rain last night. Lightening! Thunder! My dog showed his bravery by crawling under the futon in the existing cabin. Joni and I covered all the straw and hoped for the best. It worked: no wet bales.

No work done today as the weather calls for more thunder boomers and rain. Unusual for June here in these parts. We had a full inch of H2O last night.

Humid on this walk. Reminded me of the Root River Valley back in Minnesota where I grew up. Minus the mosquitoes. The Foothills does have a few, but nothing compared to the humid river valleys of the Midwest.

We make up for it in poison oak. It is everywhere. Right now I have patches of itchy, scaly skin on both ankles, my right foot, the backs of my knees, the back of my right thigh and on my ample belly. During this second season up here, you just kind of get used to it. Locational hazard.

Every flower has to have it's thorn.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Your yellow flowers look like some kind of St. Johnswort. We have different varieties out here in NY, so I don't know which species grows in CA. Happily, we don't have Poison Oak, tho we do have Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac. And the ivy grows EVERYWHERE. If you have Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) out there, you can crush the stems and rub the fluid from them on your skin to help neutralize the toxins from these plants.

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks Woods! Joni, my spouse agrees.

I find the best cure for poison oak is a dip into the ice cold water of our spring that runs near here... With my botanical skills, I'd probably wind up rubbing stinging nettles onto my skin. :)