Sunday, June 14, 2009

Walk #163: The Sonoma non Diet

Hunter in front of his Century Plant
Saturday Night.

Having finished work I drove over to what was once a sleepy, little town called Sonoma. Famous for it's restaurants and town square--I'm on my way to have a barbecue with my friend Hunter.

Sonoma is not that far from the hospital (as the bird flies). The problem is that a mini mountain range separates the Napa Valley from the valley that Sonoma is in. The Mayacama mountain range. It takes forty five minutes to drive there.

I brought by about a pound and a half of steaks I bought at a Yuppie Market. Some stinky cheese and Vino fleshes out the meal. The wine was a blend that was on sale.

Being a fair guy, I must state that the wine I bought was a Zinfandel/Merlot blend. And it was quite good. So much for my anti-Zin tirade. Perhaps we have avoided barbarism?

We gorged on our NON SONOMA DIET and walked to the famous square where the last of the Spanish Missions was built in Adobe Fashion. Hunter is drinking Zambucas and beer. I behave myself, as I have to work the next day. Afterwards, we walk back to Hunter's place. A grand total of about an hour walk.

Sonoma is a nice town to walk in, although the very best part of the town is it's traditional zocolo style, town square with the Spanish mission (built in 1823).

1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

No ride for me today. Drove to meditation this morning with my daughter, which was a fine tradeoff -- to have her company instead of riding.

In the afternoon, I put the pedometer on before heading for an airport hotel, via car, ferry, car, van shuttle, van shuttle, escalator, and van shuttle.

Pedometer says 2,420 steps. 1,26 miles.