Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Walk #152: Getting Familiar With My Alien Land...

Back across the State of California to my Foothills home. Got back in time to take a celebratory walk with my dog. During these walks I feel like John Muir investigating the Sierra. Every thing is new and interesting.

Because I walk one route so very often, being away for five days feels like coming home to an alien land. I watch the succession of growth. For example, these wild sweet pea blossoms were no where to be found before I left. Look at them now!

A crowd of wild sweet peas:

And this flower snuck up on me. I haven't discovered it's name yet. The color is actually much more purple than this. Walking at sunset seems to have changed the color in the photo:

Now I have nine days to build our house and take walks... I love my life!

3 comments:

Jackijo said...

Wow, what a beautiful place you live in. I like the pictures of the wildflowers.

Ian Woofenden said...

Another short ride for me today, but no lack of exercise. Last night playing music, Dan and Angie said they had a big Doug-Fir log in the yard, and it would be cut into firewood today. I rode down to look at it, and then talked to Chip about loading it with his tractor. Mostly woods riding, since there's a trail between our place and Totem Trail where the log was.

1.86 miles
14:52
7.80 mph average
16.95 mph max

I drove back down with the dump truck at 11 am and Chip and I took a couple of hours to load the three 16-foot by 24-30+ inch logs -- see my blog for photos. Took some doing to get them loaded, since they were at or beyond the limits of the tractor. Chip knows the limits, and is very gently with his machine, so we didn't chew up the yard much, and got them all on safely. Then I dumped them at Arn's sawmill, for milling later in the summer or fall. Money in the bank!

Rick (Ratty) said...

The differences we find are a huge bonus about nature walks. Even walking the same place every day there are some very interesting new things.