Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Walk #167: 1890!!

I took the girls to Billie Park in Paradise today. I tried to talk them into taking a walk with me, but they would have nothing of it. They played for a bit and we went to the library. These signs (see above) are everywhere in the park since a mountain lion killed a couple of goats near here. Part of the reason for these signs is that a child was attacked in a Orange County Regional Park back in the mid 80's. The Family won a two million dollar judgment against the County.

Good grief!

Only two children have been killed in California from mountain lions. The last one happened in 1909 (the child died from Rabies, which would be quite treatable today). The only child to actually be killed during an attack occurred on June 19, 1890. Yes, 1890!

Given that the population of people has exploded in California, the mountain lion has pretty much left us alone. Mountain lions are protected in California, but those seen as presenting a danger are regularly killed. In other words, a seen mountain lion is a dead mountain lion. Signs like those above just stir up hysteria. Yes, we should always exercise caution. Always.

Have we become so isolated from nature that we need warning signs everywhere for absolutely every natural hazard? I don't see any warning signs before entering the death mauling freeway (deathway?).

I'll take my chances on an evening, solitary, sunset walk. My walking stick serves as a way of increasing my chances of surviving the walk. That seems much safer than commuting to work.

My walk happened this evening when a neighbor dropped by with his dog. Angel and I took a walk with him and discussed the news on the ridge (and our love for mountain lions, rattlesnakes and bears).

2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I agree that hysteria about predators (animal and human) is keeping our kids inside, where they can soak up the violent attitudes of TV and video games. And folks freak out at the sight of a spider or ant, spraying poison around for the kids to breathe and get cancer from.

Allan Stellar said...

I agree woods...

What amazes me is sueing the State of California for a cougar vs. human incident within a park. Orange county was sued. So was the State of California in the early 90's when a kid was attacked.

These families that sued have done the people (and the mountain lion) a real disservice.

We all step out the door in the morning at our own risk. What do we want? A totally safe world? I don't want to live in such a world. I still want a small sense of adventure.