Friday, June 26, 2009

Walk #176: Walking the Napa Valley: Rutherford Road and Honig

The Rutherford Grill---get the ribs and the cornbread!

An entrance to an estate. Can you say "tax the rich?"

I walked this road to the winery (above and below).




An every day tragedy.

Okay, this job is rigorous, but I accept. The mission is to walk all the little intersecting roads across the Napa Valley. If I should, by chance, stumble into a winery for a free tasting, well, somebodies gotta do it: me!

The next intersector was Rutherford Road. Rutherford is one of the tiny, little towns that inhabits the Napa Valley. Just a few miles south of St. Helena, it boasts one decent restaurant (the Rutherford Grill...make sure you get the cornbread) and a sprinkling of large wineries. BV is there. Grigich Hills is nearby.

So I walk. A hot day, I walk past a few houses. The road becomes narrow. Off to the sides are some impossibly huge estates. The lawns look like the sort of lawns that people play lawn bowling on. I peek through some gates to see how people live who have lots more money than I do. I bet they have never built a house of straw and mud. Nor would they want to.

I walk on. Past the Napa River til I come to a road lined with Palm Trees. At the conclusion of the road is a new winery. Check it out.

Lovely. Tastings by appointment only. That has never stopped me. I go inside. The hostess tells me that they pair their wine with food, and that the last tasting was an hour ago. "You are welcome to look around", she said.

I do. Typical Napa Valley Gaudy Chic. I belly up to the wine bar, but the server doesn't pour me a glass. Time to move on.

Down the road I turn into Honig Winery. It is about half a mile to the winery. I've had their wine before, as they are reasonably priced. They are by appointment only too, but I manage to talk the wine room guy into a tasting.

As he pours me a glass of wine, I look at the displays. This winery has a sense of humor. The staff are dressed up in all sorts of interesting outfits and poses, with captions like "Honig's Angels" a spoof on Charlies Angels. Seems timely with Farrah Fawcett passing away and all.

We chat. I pull my typical I'm-a-local-nurse-on-a-walk-will-you-give-me-a-free-tasting line. It works. This winery has gone 100 percent solar. They also are attempting to be "sustainable" (not organic). They have created space for a wildlife refuge next to the river (which actually has been won by local enviros pushing for agricultural setbacks). They pump how Green they are. They have created Owl boxes.

Good.

They then serve me four Cabernet's. The 2006 was quite good. They give me a deal on a bottle and I leave. The wine room manager invites me to come back anytime. "I'll serve you when ever you happen to be taking a walk".

Now I don't know if this defeats the purpose of taking a walk: Walking from winery to winery. But heck, it sure is fun.

A trend. I've noticed from several tastings that the 2006 vintage of the Cabernet's are uncommonly good from the Napa Valley. I think this might be one of their better years. Pick up a 2006 Napa Valley Cab from a decent winery and see if you agree.

Walking home, I come across a squished squirrel in the road. Not sanctuary enough for this poor critter.

5 comments:

lph said...

Allan,

Maybe you have hit upon a business idea. Instead of hut to hut hiking in the Swiss Alps, why not winery to winery walking in the Napa Valley?

I believe you've got a hot idea here:)

Larry

Ian Woofenden said...

Catching up here.

I only spent three nights in Paonia, and the days and evenings were full of intense meetings and connections with friends old and new. I did borrow a bike, and managed to do a few miles each day. Also did a fair amount of airport walking, and then University walking in Seattle before getting back to the island last night. Today I had to take the van back to town so it's ready for a morning trip to the airport to return our daughter and then pick up my brother. I tossed the bike in the van and then did this on the way home:
4.45 miles
29:30
9.07 mph average
29.13 mph max

Tomorrow early Kelly will shuttle us across the channel in his skiff, two hours before the first ferry, so Anna can get her flight. I hope to get back with my brother in time to do a ride...

Zeal said...

Allan - I'll pick up a 2006 Napa Valley Cab for our 4th of july cookout. I look forward to maybe doing a winery walk or two with you this fall.

Ian - Thanks for posting your 2 wheeled adventures. It has inspired me to follow suit and bike to work and around town every day.

Ian Woofenden said...

Zeal,

Wow -- I doubled my impact by inspiring you! That's inspiring... ;-)

Allan Stellar said...

Hey Larry,

I'd be happy to be a walking guide amongst the vineyards of the Napa Valley. :)

Taran,

Looking forward to your visit. Although I had my eyes set on mountains to climb, rather than a few cushy wineries. Whatever you want!

I too am inspired by Ian's bike adventures. Makes me think I ought to turn my walks into more of a workout (rather than poking along looking at flowers and dropping into wineries).

Buy a decent Cab. No mass produced swill. Spend some money...

Cheers!

allan