Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Walk # 166: Wild Carrots and Snake Skins...

Having (barely) survived the last five days of work, I drove back across the State of California to my Foothills Home. These long June days make it possible to visit with my family for a bit before heading out.

It is fun to discover what has popped up while I was gone. This time I noticed (what we used to call in Minnesota) wild carrots have blossomed:

Brady, the neighbor's dog, joined Angel and me.

Joni took a walk with the girls the other day. Angel (our dog) became quite agitated at something in the grass, along the side of the road. When Kylie went over to take a look, she found this five foot long snake skin. We think it belonged to a Gopher snake.


Good to be at my "off the grid" home. Now I have nine days to recharge before returning to the Napa Valley...
By the way, I added photos to the last few posts. Feel free to scroll down and enjoy the visual aids.

4 comments:

Ian Woofenden said...

Conference walking only yesterday
1.06 miles

Sitting in a conference is hard work for me.

I'm getting a rental bike this evening and plan to bike from Stevens Point to Amherst. Should be fun in the midwestern dusk.

Allan Stellar said...

Sitting in a conference is hard work. Perhaps that is why I hated school so much? All that endless sitting...

Ian Woofenden said...

Another conference day, and a good one. See my blog for photos. My pedometer said that I again did 1.06 miles, so I guess I walked to the bathroom the same number of times as yesterday.

My rental bike was dropped off at a bit after 7 PM. Nice bike! Front suspension. I rode the 14 miles to Amherst in right on an hour, over fairly flat country. The hills were long and gradual. The wind was against me the whole way. The shoulder was wide on highway 10, and most cars and semis pulled into the other lane as well. Photos taken on the fly are on my blog. Got to the Amherst Inn and visited with friends. I had left my pedometer on, curious to know what it would do. It now shows 4.17 miles. I wonder if it accurately measures pedal strokes. I'll try it tomorrow...

NonCharon said...

I remember finding my first snakeskin as a kid. At the risk of sounding sappy, it was like finding an old forgotten secret. :)