Monday, June 8, 2009

Walk #158: Our Swimming Hole...

Angel and I went for a walk. Then we took the girls down to the swimming hole...





Clean water. Good for poison oak, Mosquito bites, skin ailments of all sorts, the heart break of psoriasis, eczema, ill tempers, distemper, my temper, keeping cool, keeping calm, keeping fit, sleep and almost everything under the sun.

This swim was interrupted by a snake that decided to visit Kylie (while she frozenly, unbelievably treaded water and watched the snake move closer). She screamed! ( From a distance of thirty feet or so, I couldn't see what sort of snake it was--but I did see it wriggling along in the water). The snake got to within a few inches of her screaming face. The snake then decided that it had frightened small children enough and veered another direction. Looking for Eve?

Every kid should have a creek to play in. A clean creek. With cold refreshing water and tumbly rapids. Ed Abbey used to say: "I don't want to live in a country where I can't drink out of it's rivers". Or at least swim in them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Walk #158: Our Swimming Hole..." to our Directory of Sports. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Sportstrove.info Team

http://www.sportstrove.info

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thanks for bringing back childhood memories of swimming holes. Having been spoiled as a kid by their spontaneous and unsupervised delights, I could never enjoy a place with guards blowing whistles and yelling NO RUNNING! every time you start to really have fun.

I'm all grown up now (in fact, I'm getting old) but I still love to swim where I'm not supposed to, climbing fences and ignoring NO TRESPASSING signs to jump in the river. Snakes and all.

Ian Woofenden said...

I love swimming holes too, and we have one in our clearing, complete with rope swing and water slide. And NO one saying, "No running!", or no anything else, except being mean.

I had an early appointment in town so I took the 7 AM ferry off the island, dashed (on my bike) up to Fastenal to get a stick of 1-inch threaded rod for a tower job I hope to do tomorrow, and then did errands after my appointment, including getting my worn out derraileur adjusted. While at the bike shop, I chatted with an electrician friend, and when my bike basket completely fell OFF my bike as I started to leave, he was the right guy to be there, with zip ties to re-attach it... ;-) Also bought some handlebar wrap -- gonna put inner tube under it -- and a blinky red light for the rental bike in Wisconsin.

18.20 miles
1:42:57
10.60 mph average
32.31 mph max